Using University Telephone Services
Last Update: May 2006
Responsible University Officer:
- University Controller
- University Controller
- Updated: May 2006
- Primary Contact : LaCretia Bell
Printed on: . Please go to http://policy.umn.edu for the most current version of the Policy or related document.
Departments are responsible for determining when an employee needs to have access to telephone services and the type of services necessary to fulfill University job responsibilities. Costs related to such services are to be borne by the department.
Personal phone calls made on University telephones should be kept to a minimum. If employees need to make a personal call which, if dialed direct, would result in a long distance phone charge to the department, they should either call collect or charge the call to their home phone or personal calling card. Personal long distance calls should not be charged to the University. If due to an emergency or inadvertence, a personal long distance call is charged to a University account, the caller will be required to reimburse the University.
Please note there are additional restrictions in the use of Sponsored Funds to pay for cell phone services.
Departments and colleges are not allowed to establish policies that differ from this University Wide policy.
REASON FOR POLICY
The purpose of this policy is to:
- Provide general University expectations regarding appropriate use of telephone services.
- Reduce unnecessary transaction costs to the University.
- Avoid violation of state sales and federal excise tax laws.
There are no procedures related to this policy.
There are no forms related to this policy.
- Business Telephone Use
- May include occasional calls home while employee is in business travel status as follows: while out of town on a University business trip; returning from an out-of-town or extended day business trip; returning home at the end of a work day from a secondary work location other than employee's principal office on University campus.
- Incidental Personal Use
- On average, fifteen percent or fewer minutes used for personal calls.
- Incremental Telephone Costs
- Additional charges incurred by the University for personal use of University telephone equipment. Personal long distance telephone charges and additional cellular phone charges related to personal use are included.
- Personal Telephone Use
- Generally includes routine calls home during the daily commute between work and home.
- Telephone Costs
- All expenses related to the acquisition, installation and on-going fees for telephone equipment or services, local and long distance.
- Telephone Services
- Single and multiple line phones, local service only, restricted and unrestricted long distance service, calling cards, cellular phones, pagers, authorization codes to activate phone service, etc.
- University Employee
- Reimburse the University for all personal long distance and other incremental personal telephone costs incurred.
- Administrative Officers and Supervisory Personnel
- Monitor department or unit's overall compliance with policy. Retain phone documentation for three complete fiscal years. Take disciplinary action with employee in the event of policy abuse.
- University Auditors
- Conduct periodic reviews of long distance usage.
There are no appendices related to this policy.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
There is no FAQ for this policy.
- Administrative Policy: Cellular Device Business Expenses
- Administrative Policy: Purchasing Goods and Services
- Direct Charging the Costs of Cellular Phones and Paging Devices to Sponsored Agreements
- May 2006 - Revised to reflect the creation of a separate policy and procedure governing cellular device business expenses.
- May 2002 - Added "Direct Charging the Costs of Cellular Phones and Paging Devices to Sponsored Agreements" to Related Information as well as references and links to this in Policy Statement and Procedure.
- UMD Campus Policy, January 1995, Revised July 1997
Institute of Agriculture, Forestry and Human Ecology, April 1997
- October 1999